Bacon & Day (5)
Bart Reiter (6)
Chuck Lee (2)
Crafters of TN (2)
Gibson Copy (4)
Gibson Kalamazoo (3)
Gold Star (12)
Gold Tone (37)
Jeff Menzies (2)
Kel Kroydon (1)
Morgan Monroe (2)
Recording King (21)
Show More Brands...
For Sale: Gibson J.D. Crowe RB75 Blackjack Banjo, $3,200 (sold)
I am selling an excellent 2007 Gibson J.D. Crowe RB75 Blackjack 5-string banjo. I acquired the banjo from John Miller (NDJohn on BHO) and he has graciously allowed me to use his description and photos. Many of you undoubtedly know John who is a long-time and well respected member of the BHO community. The banjo is in the same fine condition as when I received it from John except for one small cosmetic detail. I hand polished a small area at the top face area of the headstock (see John's "before" photo) using very fine 6000 Micro-Mesh cushioned abrasive to remove the small area of darkening caused by a clip-on tuner. Now, not shown in a photo, the only remaining discoloration is very light golden color on some of the upper portion of the script Gibson. It nicely matches the variegated color of the other fancy pearl pieces. The finish remains high gloss as original.
Start of John’s description
• Overview: A very nice example of the classic Blackjack—serial #75-0709-38. Plays nicely, sounds typically like a fine mahogany Gibson. Excellent 4th string, nice pop at higher head tensions, appropriate tubbiness at lower tensions. Good window of head tensions at which it speaks well. I've owned, worked on, and set up five Blackjacks; this is the nicest for playability and the second best for sound.
• Components: All original permanent parts, Crowe ring serial #5969; new head and strings.
• Playability: Frets show minimal wear, appear to be original, and look lightly crowned. No structural issues. Action is medium-low with healthy neck relief. Good intonation all the way up.
• Cosmetics: Engraved, antique flashed gold plating. Tarnish wear evident on the armrest, normal natural tarnish elsewhere. Darkening on peghead logo from clip-on tuner. Assorted light dings, scratches, abrasions, but overall very nice condition.
• Included: Original "The Gibson" case in excellent condition.
End of John’s description
Asking $3,200 plus shipping. I offer 1 week test playing with fast refund of purchase price if dissatisfied for any reason. Must be returned in same condition and buyer pays only cost of return shipping. I am confident that the banjo won’t be coming back. Thanks!
Dick Huyett (BHO PickaFive)